Re: [patch 0/8] mm: thrash detection-based file cache sizing v5

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 10:54:45 EST

On 11/12/2013 05:30 AM, Bob Liu wrote:
Hi Johannes,

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 5:46 AM, Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Future

Right now we have a fixed ratio (50:50) between inactive and active
list but we already have complaints about working sets exceeding half
of memory being pushed out of the cache by simple used-once streaming
in the background. Ultimately, we want to adjust this ratio and allow
for a much smaller inactive list. These patches are an essential step
in this direction because they decouple the VMs ability to detect
working set changes from the inactive list size. This would allow us
to base the inactive list size on something more sensible, like the
combined readahead window size for example.

I found that this patchset have the similar purpose as
Zcache(http://lwn.net/Articles/562254/) in some way.

Sorry, but that is unrelated.