Re: NULL pointer dereference in autofs4_expire_wait

From: David Ahern
Date: Fri Oct 11 2013 - 09:29:33 EST

On 10/11/13 3:55 AM, Ian Kent wrote:
On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 10:06 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 17:22 -0600, David Ahern wrote:
Running 3.12-rc3 just hit BUG in autofs4_expire_wait

It doesn't look like this could be due to Al's change to the locking in
autos4_wait() and that the only change to autofs that I'm aware of.

Could you do a bisect please?

Of course that assumes it's repeatable.
Is it?

Can you provide any information about the environment and activity that
was happening at the time of the BUG()?

The system was up and running for 9 days before hitting the BUG. After that with 3 cpus on softlockup I had to do a reboot (forced). After the reboot I continued the workload again without a repeat incident (yet), so I am not sure bisect is going to be possible.

This is a corporate environment where practically everything is in an automount. Specific to this problem I was repeatedly building a workspace in one window, using cscope in another and checking code against a different workspace in a third -- all 3 of those were different automounts and different NAS servers.

From objdump on vmlinux the line in question is fs/autofs4/expire.c:465

if (ino->flags & AUTOFS_INF_EXPIRING) {

I will be continuing the sequence above today (working through compile problems for on OS port). I will bump the kernel to top of tree and see if it repeats.

David