Re: new binutils needed for arm in 3.12-rc1

From: Rob Landley
Date: Thu Sep 26 2013 - 18:06:40 EST

On 09/25/2013 10:52:44 AM, Måns Rullgård wrote:
Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 09/24/2013 09:07:57 PM, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
>> I'd strongly suggest you make your binutils compatible with newer
>> instruction syntax instead of making the kernel more complex.
>
> Meaning I play whack-a-mole as this becomes permission to depend on
> endless new gnuisms just because they're there and nobody else is
> regression testing against them, not because they actually add anything.

Since when is assembling the instructions correctly, as specified in the
arch ref, and not in some other random way a gnuism?

If you require current gnome and drop support for older versions (and implicitly all other desktops), people start writing stuff that depends on systemd. It doesn't matter if the feature you abandoned support for the past 10 years of everthing else for wasn't itself provided by systemd.

Rob--