Re: [RFC 0/5] New descriptor-based GPIO interface

From: Mika Westerberg
Date: Mon Sep 23 2013 - 06:16:16 EST

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:06:00PM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Alexandre Courbot <acourbot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Here is a first RFC for the new GPIO interface.
>
> I'm quite happy with this, and given that all DT-implementations will start
> to use it from day 1 I'll happily merge it when you think it's tested enough.
>
> On my wishlist is to also switch over the ACPI GPIO driver:
> drivers/gpio/gpiolib-acpi.c to use the descriptors directly, so
> I'd like one of the ACPI folks to have a look at this patch set
> and see how it looks from their angle.
>
> Mika, Rafael, Mathias, and either of you guys have a look
> at this?

Apart from the con_id thing I commented, I don't see huge problems
converting the ACPI GPIO helpers to this new interface.

One thing that is special to ACPI is that we have two kind of GPIO
"connections":

GpioIo - a normal GPIO that the driver can toggle or read values

GpioInt - this is specifically used as a GPIO interrupt

The drivers should be able to distinguish between the two. Currently we
have an extra parameter in acpi_get_gpio_by_index(..., &info) that can be
used for this. However, with the new gpiod_get() I'm not sure how we are
supposed to do this now?

Anyway, that shouldn't prevent merging this patch set. I'm sure that we can
come up with some working solution :-)