Re: scsi: delete decade+ obsolete aic7xxx_old driver

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Tue Sep 17 2013 - 14:27:49 EST

On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 21:51 -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> Currently we have people wasting time building it during routine testing,
> and then wasting more time re-researching the known reported warnings,
> only to find that nobody really is willing to integrate the fixes[3] for
> it.
>
>[...]
>
> [3] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/29/215

Well, this didn't end up as an entire waste of my time. After that
message I sent a patch to Fedora's kernel list, and a reminder a few
months later[1]. That prompted Josh Boyer to remove this old driver from
the Fedora build[2].

And now that driver is disabled in all kernels that Fedora currently
ships. I'm not familiar with any complaints about this decision.

Paul Bolle

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kernel/2013-February/004102.html
[2] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/kernel.git/commit/?id=2192022f4bf13b30e389e77170da7ae08fd28ecf