Re: BLK_TN_PROCESS events not delivered for all devices

From: Jan Kara
Date: Tue Sep 17 2013 - 13:10:34 EST

On Tue 17-09-13 08:29:07, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 09/16/2013 03:23 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been looking into a problem where BLK_TN_PROCESS events are not
> > delivered to all devices which are being traced. This results in process
> > name being (null) when trace for a single device is parsed.
> >
> > The reason for this problem is that trace_note_tsk() is called only if
> > tsk->btrace_seq != blktrace_seq and it updates tsk->btrace_seq to
> > blktrace_seq. Thus after a trace for another device is started
> > BLK_TN_PROCESS event is sent only on behalf of the first device with which
> > the task interacts. That isn't necessarily the new device thus traces for
> > some devices accumulate several BLK_TN_PROCESS events for one task while
> > other have none. Is this a known problem and is this intended to work
> > better?
> >
> > I was thinking how to fix that for a while and it doesn't seem to be
> > possible without tracking with each block trace which tasks it has been
> > notified about. And that is relatively expensive...
>
> It is unfortunately a known issue... I have not come up with a good way
> to fix it either, while keeping it cheap. So if you think of something,
> do let me know.
Hum... How about linking all running block traces (struct blk_trace) in a
linked list and sending BLK_TN_PROCESS to all the traces? Sure we will be
spamming with BLK_TN_PROCESS a bit but starting a trace isn't such a common
thing so it shouldn't be too bad. What do you think?

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR