Re: BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context on 3.10.10-rt7

From: Mario Kleiner
Date: Wed Sep 11 2013 - 15:07:25 EST

On 11.09.13 20:35, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:29:07 +0200
Mario Kleiner <mario.kleiner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That said, maybe preempt_disable is no longer the optimal choice there
and there's some better way to achieve good protection against
interruptions of that bit of code? My knowledge here is a bit rusty, and
the intel kms drivers and rt stuff has changed quite a bit.

If you set your code to a higher priority than other tasks (and
interrupts) than it wont be preempted there. Unless of course it blocks
on a lock, but even then, priority inheritance will take place and it
still should be rather quick. (unless the holder of the lock is doing
that strange polling).

-- Steve

Right, on a rt kernel. But that creates the problem of not very computer savvy users (psychologists and biologists mostly) somehow having to choose proper priorities for gpu interrupt threads and for the x-server/wayland/..., and not much protection on a non-rt kernel?

preempt_disable() a few years ago looked like a good "plug and play" default solution, because the ->get_crtc_scanoutpos() function was supposed to have a very low and bounded execution time. At the time we wrote the patches for intel/radeon/nouveau, that was the case. Typical execution time (= preempt off time) was like 1-4 usecs, even on very low end hardware.

Seems that at least intel's kms driver does a lot of things now, which can sleep and spin inside that section? I tried to follow the posted stack trace, but got lost somewhere around the i915_read32 code and power management stuff...

-mario