Re: permission to move definition of struct rpmsg_channel_info

From: Arjun Gopalan
Date: Tue Sep 10 2013 - 15:18:45 EST

On 09/08/2013 05:27 AM, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
Hi Arjun,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Arjun Gopalan <agopalan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Ohad/Brian,

I have been working on rpmsg and I need to be able to create static rpmsg channels. Channel information needs to be specified by other drivers and for this, the drivers need access to struct rpmsg_channel_info.
I'm not convinced how useful it is for other Linux drivers to create
static rpmsg channels?

Usually these channels reflect the existence of services running on
the remote processor, and their creation (or lack thereof) should be
specified in the remote image. This way an rpmsg channel is published
iff there is a matching remote service.

The way we were planning to add static channels functionality (I
should still have preliminary patches doing this somewhere but the
entire work was put on hold since TI changed its focus) is by
statically publishing them in the resource table, which is coupled
with a specific remote image.

Best,
Ohad.
Hi Ohad,

Thanks for your response. Implementing a name service facility in the remote processor may be an option for us too. But, it would be nice to be able to create static rpmsg channels.

You mentioned that your patches publish rpmsg channels in the resource table which is coupled to the firmware image. In our case, we may not have a dynamic firmware that is loaded. In other words, we may not be using the Linux firmware loading mechanism at all. In that case, how do you think your patches have to be modified ?

Would we probably need static resource tables ?

On similar lines, the remoteproc core also mandates a valid firmware for every remote processor, which again won't work for our case. I have a patch to enable firmware-less remote processors but it is not in perfect shape yet because I haven't integrated virtio and remoteproc as is done in drivers/remoteproc/remoteproc_virtio. This would again possibly require something like static resource tables.

Instead, currently, I have a separate driver that overlaps with some of the functionalities offered by drivers/remoteproc/remoteproc_virtio.c.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.
Thanks.

Regards,
Arjun