Re: [patch 0/9] mm: thrash detection-based file cache sizing v3

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Aug 09 2013 - 18:53:17 EST

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 18:44:01 -0400 Johannes Weiner <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This series solves the problem by maintaining a history of pages
> evicted from the inactive list, enabling the VM to tell streaming IO
> from thrashing and rebalance the page cache lists when appropriate.

Looks nice. The lack of testing results is conspicuous ;)

It only really solves the problem in the case where

size-of-inactive-list < size-of-working-set < size-of-total-memory

yes? In fact less than that, because the active list presumably
doesn't get shrunk to zero (how far *can* it go?). I wonder how many
workloads fit into those constraints in the real world.