Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Sat Jul 13 2013 - 11:54:56 EST

On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 11:10 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 07:11:29AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>
> > > Users expect vanilla .0 releases usable as production systems, to
> > > be updated (meaning, no new features, just stabilizing) with the
> > > corresponding -stable series.
> >
> > This really is a case by case basis. An unprivileged user exploit
> > requires a box that lets other users than the owner of the box to log
> > in. Most users of .0 releases do not do this.
>
> local exploits aren't just a problem for multi-user machines.
> An attacker who can own your firefox process, can now potentially
> escalate to root. (Ok, most exploits are just crashing the box,
> but how many times have we been proven wrong in the past when we
> thought something was just a DoS, and someone smarter has found
> a way to turn it into a root-hole?)

Of course I don't want to lower the importance of such a fix. But making
sure the fix works and not rushed out is important too. It really is a
case by case basis. Some bugs should get out to mainline and stable
quickly, but a lot of them should also be verified to work before
rushing to get them out the door. And verification does take a bit of
time. The last thing we want a fix to do is to create a bug that could
potentially be worse than the one being fixed.

-- Steve