Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review

From: Dave Jones
Date: Sat Jul 13 2013 - 11:11:21 EST

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 07:11:29AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > Users expect vanilla .0 releases usable as production systems, to
> > be updated (meaning, no new features, just stabilizing) with the
> > corresponding -stable series.
>
> This really is a case by case basis. An unprivileged user exploit
> requires a box that lets other users than the owner of the box to log
> in. Most users of .0 releases do not do this.

local exploits aren't just a problem for multi-user machines.
An attacker who can own your firefox process, can now potentially
escalate to root. (Ok, most exploits are just crashing the box,
but how many times have we been proven wrong in the past when we
thought something was just a DoS, and someone smarter has found
a way to turn it into a root-hole?)

Dave