Re: perf: more ABI breakage

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Mon Jul 08 2013 - 15:02:40 EST

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> Urgh, so the 3.9 patches should never have been merged and sunk in while I was
> doing my vegetable imitation.
>
> Stephane agreed with the change in 3.10; and I suppose he overlooked the fact
> that people were already using it :/ I specifically asked if there were already
> users as that would indeed require some form of backwards compatibility --
> however annoying.

I probably was just hoping no one was using it, and since I don't own any
fam15h hardware myself it didn't affect me directly.

The problem is that AMD NB support was so long in coming that everyone
eagerly jumped on it when it arrived, to the extent of running -rc 3.9
kernels.

We can only hope that 3.9 is not chosen as long-term-stable, and that
RHEL and the HPC vendors don't decide to backport the 3.9 support to their
older kernels. If so we're stuck with it for a while :(

It looks like it will be possible for libpfm4/PAPI to sort of paper over
this but it's going to be annoying :(

Vince