Re: [Patch v5 0/9] liblockdep: userspace lockdep

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Sun Jul 07 2013 - 21:15:22 EST

On 06/27/2013 09:55 AM, Sasha Levin wrote:
On 06/27/2013 05:07 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/26/2013 11:53 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
Ingo, I don't think I see anything holding this back; however I remember
reading some email about people not liking stuff like this living in the
tools/ directory or such.

Will you pick this up?
So I'd really be interested in how interesting/useful this is to userspace
developers? Does it work for something complex as Firefox, or Apache, to
the extent they make use of these locking APIs?

So far I've tested it on Firefox, Apache, QEMU, LKVM, GCC and random
smallish programs. I haven't really done full testing for each of those,
but just made sure that liblockdep behaves as it supposed to. I'm
guessing that with further work it will dig up actual issues.

The other issue is that with lock classes disabled you have to hit an
actual deadlock to trigger any output.

I.e. much of the power of lockdep is diminished :-/ When actual deadlocks
are triggered then it's not particularly complex to debug user-space apps:
gdb the hung task(s) and look at the backtraces.

Lock classes are disabled only if you're using the LD_PRELOAD method of
testing. If you actually re-compile your code with the library (by just
including the header and setting a #define to enable it) you will have
lock classes.

Hi Ingo,

Just wondering if you're planning on pushing it over to Linus from your tree,
or should I go ahead and do it on my own?

Thanks,
Sasha