Re: scheduling while atomic & hang.

From: Dave Jones
Date: Thu Jul 04 2013 - 03:49:23 EST

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 07:49:18PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is a pretty context free trace. What the hell happened here?
>
> That lack of call trace looks like it happened at the final stage of
> an interrupt or page fault or other trap that is about to return to
> user space.
>
> My guess would be that the trap/irq/whatever handler for some odd
> reason ended up with an unbalanced spinlock or something. But since
> there is no trace of it, I can't even begin to guess what it would be.
>
> Does trinity save enough pseudo-random state that it can be
> repeatable, because if it's something repeatable it might be
> interesting to see what the last few system calls and traps were...

It should, but I'll have to see if anything useful hit the disk before
it wedged.

> >From the " 3.10.0+" I assume this is from the merge window, and
> possibly a new failure. Do you have an actual git ID? I can heartily
> recommend CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y as a way to get commit ID's
> encoded in the version string (which is obviously more useful if you
> end up running mainly kernels without extra commits of your own on top
> of them - if you have your own local commits you'd still need to
> translate it into "your kernel XYZ with commits of mine on top")

top of tree was 0b0585c3e192967cb2ef0ac0816eb8a8c8d99840 I think.
(That's what it is on my local box that I pull all my test trees from,
and I don't think it changed after I started that run, but I'll
double check on Friday)

I don't use the auto config, because I end up filling up /boot
unless I go through and clean them out by hand every time I install
a new one (which I do probably a dozen or so times a day).
Is there some easy way to prune old builds I'm missing ?

Dave