Re: Tux3 Report: Meet Shardmap, the designated successor of HTree

From: Christian Stroetmann
Date: Mon Jun 24 2013 - 13:21:41 EST

Dear Mr. Andreas Karlsson:

Thank you for the quote. If we really want to bring this down to the lowest level, then an idea is not copyrighted per se, for sure.

But, what is the problem? That I have used the wrong word? The context was clear and hence the meaning of the word "ideas". So, simply add the word "described", "presented", or "publicated" before the word "ideas" or substitute the word "ideas" with the term "technical descriptions given in textual form".

Or is the problem that the idea has been publicated and everybody is now free to take it? The answer is: yes and no.
Yes:
Everybody can implement an idea, concept, system, or method of operation even if it is given with a copyrighted representation, and give it away or even sell it, because in the latter case it is not patented. But how should somebody give something away or sell something without giving a description about what it is? This leads to the other case.

No:
What you and many other persons might misunderstand is the fact that if an idea is copyrighted by being represented in a textual, visual, or other form, it even does not matter at all if somebody else takes another text or image as long as the sense/the idea described in this other way is still the same as described in the original text or image, because it does not matter in which way the copyrighted thing is communicated. As a good example take a melody publicated with written notes. It does not matter on which instrument you play it or in which style you sing it. It is still the same melody. Or take a written script of a movie that is narrated from the view of the main protagonist in the original plot and from the view of another actor or a voice in the back in a copied plot. In all cases it is still the same copyrighted idea/story.

Said this, every other description or documentation that uses different terms, a source code, even a visual graphic, or whatever representation of a file system that has the characteristical features of my log-structured hashing based data storage system with one or more of the optional features like for example consistent hashing, different data structures on the physical storage system and in the (virtual) memory, finger table, logged finger or hash tables in memory, and ACID properties (see again the given links), as it is the case with the latest description of the Tux3 FS with Shardmap, transports/communicates the copyrighted description of the same idea/concept/system in large parts or even as a whole somehow. And simply coding and compiling it does not help as well due to the many possibilities of re-engineering.

Regards
Christian Stroetmann

Hi,

I assume it is serious since ideas cannot be copyrighted in most (or maybe even all) countries.

From the FAQ of the U.S. Copyright Office [1]:

"Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

"How do I protect my idea?

Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work."

Andreas

[1] http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#what_protect