Re: [RFC] Comparison of power-efficient scheduling patch sets

From: Alex Shi
Date: Thu May 30 2013 - 21:18:05 EST

On 05/30/2013 09:47 PM, Morten Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A number of patch sets related to power-efficient scheduling have been
> posted over the last couple of months. Most of them do not have much
> data to back them up, so I decided to do some testing.
>
> Common for all of the patch sets that I have tested, except one, is that
> they attempt to pack tasks on as few cpus as possible to allow the
> remaining cpus to enter deeper sleep states - a strategy that should
> make sense on most platforms that support per-cpu power gating and
> multi-socket machines.
>
> Kernel: 3.9
>
> Patch sets:
> rlb-v4: sched: use runnable load based balance (Alex Shi)
> <https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/27/13>

Thanks for the valuable comparison!

The runnable load balance target is performance. It is still try to
disperse tasks to as much as possible CPUs. :)
The latest v7 version remove the 6th patch(wake_affine change) in v4.
and plus fix a slept time double counting issue, and remove
blocked_load_avg in tg load.
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1498988
Enjoy!
> pas-v7: sched: power aware scheduling (Alex Shi)
> <https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/3/732>

We still have some internal discussion on this patch set before update
it. Sorry for response late on this patchset!

--
Thanks
Alex