Re: Linux 3.9.1

From: Athanasius
Date: Wed May 08 2013 - 14:48:41 EST

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:28:37AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 07:19:43PM +0100, Athanasius wrote:
> > 'uname -r' says I was. Also 'git log' for my v3.8 branch currently on
> > 3.8.9 via the 'master' method does include at least the top few commits
> > listed on:
> >
> > <https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/log/?id=refs/tags/v3.8.9>
> >
> > Of course only having gotten to 3.8.9 a pull against linux-3.8.y does
> > see changes. Perhaps someone else, or a script on git.kernel.org was
> > merging into master before and now isn't ?
>
> No, nothing was ever mergeing into master in the linux-stable git tree.
> You might have been doing that locally, check the merges to see who was
> doing it.

It really is just your Makefile/version commits, and then the commits
you merged in to make the release.

> > Anyway, if it's unsupported to pull from linux-stable.git master I'll
> > change my scripts.
>
> It's not unsupported, you will just get a copy of Linus's tree there,
> delayed by usually a -rc release or so.

I'm going to guess that what happened then was I was lucky enough for
Linus to have released a new -rc by the time I pulled a new stable. So,
then checking out the stable tag would have pointed to the right commit
to also checkout the associated commits.
Anyway, enough noise over this now.

--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key