Re: New copyfile system call - discuss before LSF?

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 04:53:38 EST

On 02/22/2013 10:47 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 21/02/2013 23:24, Zach Brown ha scritto:
You could make it work with some locking and out_fd seeking to set the
write offset before calling sendfile64()+flags, but ugh.

ssize_t sendfile(int out_fd, int in_fd, off_t in_offset, off_t
out_offset, size_t count, int flags);

That seems closer.

We might also want to pre-emptively offer iovs instead of offsets,
because that's the very first thing that's going to be requested after
people prototype having to iterate calling sendfile() for each
contiguous copy region.
Indeed, I was about to propose that exactly. So that would be
psendfilev. I don't think psendfile is useful, and can be easily
provided at the libc level.

Paolo

This seems to be suspiciously close to a clear consensus on how to move forward after many years of spinning our wheels. Anyone want to promote an actual patch before we change our collective minds?

Ric