Re: [RFC] arm: use built-in byte swap function

From: Kim Phillips
Date: Thu Feb 21 2013 - 01:55:46 EST

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:29:58 -0500
Nicolas Pitre <nico@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Kim Phillips wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:43:18 -0500
> > Nicolas Pitre <nico@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > We'll adapt if necessary. Going with -O2 should remain pretty safe anyway.
> >
> > Alas, not so for gcc 4.4 - I had forgotten I had tested
> > Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.7-1ubuntu2 here:
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2101491/
> >
> > add -O2 to that test script and gcc 4.4 *always* emits calls to
> > __bswap[sd]i2, even with -march=armv6k+.

argh, sorry - that script was testing support for
__builtin_bswap{16,32,64} directly, which isn't the same as testing
code generation of a byte swap pattern in C.

> Crap. OK, assembly code is the way to go then.
>
> > I'll try working on an assembly version given it probably
> > makes more sense, future-gcc-immunity-wise.
>
> Agreed.

I'll still try the assembly approach - gcc 4.4's armv6 output looks
worse than both the pre-armv6 and post-armv6 __arch_swab32
implementations currently in use:

mov ip, sp
push {fp, ip, lr, pc}
sub fp, ip, #4