Re: Debugging Thinkpad T430s occasional suspend failure.

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Feb 18 2013 - 03:41:42 EST

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/16/2013 11:46 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >Adding Peter Anvin to the people, just in case he sees what's wrong
> >with the system call stub generation that keeps excessively old object
> >files around. If it's easy to fix, it might be worth trying to make it
> >ok to switch from i386 to x86-64 and back in the same tree.
>
> I have not been able to reproduce this; it seems to Just
> Work[TM].
>
> The syscall header stuff is definitely not to blame: it
> doesn't even *see* the CONFIG_ settings; instead they are only
> used to determine which subset of files to create, but the
> files themselves are configuration-independent. This is by
> design.
>
> As such, without an actual known to fail test case there isn't
> much I can do.

I tried (based on the versions given by Paul):

git checkout v3.7-rc7
make ARCH=i386 defconfig
make -j64 bzImage

git checkout v3.8-rc7
make ARCH=x86_64 olddefconfig
make -j64 bzImage

but it built just fine. The build bug might depend on the
specific config file, or might depend on tooling details?

Thanks,

Ingo