Re: Fwd: PROBLEM: Random kernel panic & system freeze when watching video

From: Du Jiulun
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 09:50:42 EST

Dear kernel developers, Hillf, Mike, Boris and Tony,

Hello. It's been a long time since I last replied this email, and I
don't know if it's appropriate to reply all of you in one letter.

I've tried out most of the suspects you told me, and here's the results:

-- Panic DON'T happen when the laptop is running on battery. I've
tried over 20 battery cycles (~40 hours) doing video playbacks and the
computer never shut down.
-- Panic DO happen when: (1) I removed the secondary SSD and the tray,
or when (2) bbswitch module isn't functioning (i.e. the nVidia card is
on), or when (3) the laptop runs on AC without battery.
-- I don't know anyone with exactly same model or hardware with me.
But I asked some friends with similar hardware and they don't have
similar problem.
-- I ran memtest86+ for a whole night (over 10 passes) and nothing goes wrong.
-- There is something wrong with my hard drive (one sector redirect
reported by SMART 0x05, failure reported with value 1 in 0xB8, and
another old failure in 0xBE; it's a little old), and sometimes it
halts and panics between fscking rootfs and fscking /home (I don't
know why and don't have the logs), but I did a long test with
Seagate's SeaTool and it passed.
-- The panics happen when using Google Chrome's Flash plugin to play
videos and *audios* and when using mplayer to play videos, but don't
happen when playing local audios (mp3/flac).

I start to think that it's only me that have this problem, and may
never be able to get fixed. But I'll still be a Linux desktop user no
matter what.

Big thanks to all of you and all of the kernel developers for your
help and great job.