Re: [REGRESSION] [nailed] USB boot failure: USB: EHCI: make ehci-pcia separate driver

From: Andreas Mohr
Date: Wed Feb 13 2013 - 02:44:18 EST

[CC initramfs-tools]

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 08:16:28AM +0100, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 07:44:36AM +0100, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > So, what to do? I'm now going to do some experimentation with git revert
> > on some revision, and I'm trying to establish the USB port dependency
> > (BIOS-owned handoff root hub invisible!?, as discussed in initial mail).
>

> After some bingo moment, seems the solution is easier than expected:
>
> andi@andinet:~$ ls /tmp/initrd_extracted/lib/modules/3.7.0-rc5+/kernel/drivers/usb/host/
> ehci-hcd.ko ohci-hcd.ko uhci-hcd.ko xhci-hcd.ko
> andi@andinet:~$ ls /lib/modules/3.7.0-rc5+/kernel/drivers/usb/host/
> ehci-hcd.ko isp116x-hcd.ko sl811_cs.ko uhci-hcd.ko
> ehci-pci.ko ohci-hcd.ko sl811-hcd.ko whci
> hwa-hc.ko r8a66597-hcd.ko u132-hcd.ko xhci-hcd.ko
>
> So it's probably only that the initrd simply fails to ship
> the ehci-pci.ko module (I could verify this by extending initrd content, BTW).
> Now the question would be:
> are modules listed in a static list on initramfs package/config side,
> or does the kernel fail to signal the list of required modules properly?
> (e.g. did some config-side files fail to get upgraded for this dependency??)
>

> So maybe it's not a "regression" per se, but it's at least a grave
> usability issue on kernel upgrade which should be handled as benignly as
> possible (i.e., without any disruption).

OK, initramfs-tools hook-functions file contains (even in git master):

for arg in "$@" ; do
case "$arg" in
base)
modules="$modules ehci-hcd ohci-hcd uhci-hcd
usbhid"
modules="$modules xhci xhci-hcd"
modules="$modules hid-apple hid-cherry
hid-generic"
modules="$modules hid-logitech hid-logitech-dj"
modules="$modules hid-microsoft hid-sunplus"
modules="$modules btrfs ext2 ext3 ext4 ext4dev "
modules="$modules isofs jfs nfs reiserfs udf
xfs"
modules="$modules af_packet atkbd i8042
virtio_pci"
;;

So it seems it actually *is* the user side (initramfs-tools) which has
to maintain knowledge of all dependencies in a painfully maintained
hard-coded list, and it seems this change is now making it croak,
due to not knowing about the newly split extra ehci-pci.ko.

Questions:
- is this mechanism how one would want things to be?
(is there a way to cleanly provide the accurately updated list
from the kernel side? Or is there a scripted mechanism to at least extract
all required *dependee* modules from the list of the ones that we
already know of? That would have saved our a** here...)
- was this module change properly communicated sufficiently in advance,
to (all/most of) some affected parties?
If not, might want to do better next time if that's possible...
- should ehci-pci be added to the literal list now (and does this work
properly on kernels which don't have it??), to get back to a working
state ASAP?

Thanks,

Andreas Mohr