Re: Debugging Thinkpad T430s occasional suspend failure.

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 23:16:49 EST

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 04:56:55PM -0800, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > so I can hit this pretty quickly with this..
> >
> > while [ 1 ];
> > do
> > rtcwake -s 5 -m no ; pm-suspend
> > done
> >
> > Which should make it bisectable at least..
>
> Thanks, I'll give that a try this evening.

So uh, put a 'sleep 5' in that loop.

Turns out that the firmware on my Thinkpad craps itself when it tries to suspend while
the cpu fan is still spinning back up, and eventually it gets in a state (on a 'good' boot)
where the fan is stuck in the 'off' state.

Result: hot laptop, machine check exceptions, and then a nice
"CPU FAN ERROR" message from the BIOS on next reboot.

Full marks Lenovo.

Dave