Re: [v2 3/3] ARM: tegra: Unify Device tree board files

From: Stephen Warren
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 15:52:44 EST

On 02/12/2013 10:32 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>>> It's certainly expected to work with all compilers, yes. If a compiler
>>> cannot remove conditional function calls that depend on a constant
>>> expression, we have a lot of other problems alredy.
>>
>> Removing the function calls isn't guaranteed to remove the body of the
>> functions though. Those functions aren't implemented in some separate
>> file that's optionally included, but rather are implemented in the same
>> object file, now unconditionally, and they in turn reference (with no
>> IS_ENABLED logic) other functions that are implemented in conditionally
>> linked files.
>
> I think gcc should remove all of that in this case, since board_init_funcs
> becomes unused when the only code that references it cannot be reached,
> and when that array is gone, the now unused functions would be removed
> as well.
>
> We have had bugs with prerelease gcc versions that did not handle cases
> like this in the way we want it, but I think all releases get it right.
> I don't think it's mandated anywhere in the C99 standard that this is
> what happens, but we do rely on it anyway AFAIK.

Hmmm. Very surprisingly (to me), this does indeed work fine, even with
an older gcc-4.4.1 I had lying around (after fixing the test inversion
in tegra_dt_init_late).

I believe U-Boot enabled -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections or similar
(recently?) to get this kind of behaviour. I wonder why the kernel
didn't need that. Perhaps -O2 is more aggressive (within a file at
least) than I thought.

I did note a few warnings due to the ifdefs in tegra_auxdata_lookup[]:

arch/arm/mach-tegra/tegra.c:47: warning: 'tegra_ehci1_pdata' defined but
not used
arch/arm/mach-tegra/tegra.c:58: warning: 'tegra_ehci2_pdata' defined but
not used
arch/arm/mach-tegra/tegra.c:65: warning: 'tegra_ehci3_pdata' defined but
not used

(I built a tegra_defconfig kernel and modified it to enable
Tegra30+Tegra114, disable Tegra20, disable DRM)