gcov/lkm/arm-eabi/gcc 4.7.2 issue

From: Robert Berger
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 14:33:08 EST

Hi,

There seems to be an issue with gcov on kernel modules if you have an
arm-eabi gcc on Linux 3.8-rc6 and previous versions.

./arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc --version
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc (GCC) 4.7.2

I followed these instructions [1], but without much success.

In case I compile an out of tree kernel module with gcov enabled it can
not be loaded and issues the following error: "unknown relocation: 38"

I tried this patch [2] as well without success. It loads now, but still
nothing useful in /sys/kernel/debug/gcov

Please advise,

Regards,

Robert

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/gcov.txt;h=e7ca6478cd93d4e6422d1ae92455b347dbdf7ccb;hb=HEAD

[2]
http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/add-gcov-support-arm-help-207630451.html

My public pgp key is available,at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1

..."C treats you like a consenting adult. Pascal treats you like a
naughty child. Ada treats you like a criminal." -- (Bruce Powel Douglass)