Re: [tip:x86/mm] x86, mm: Use a bitfield to mask nuisance get_user() warnings

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 12:50:00 EST

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On the other hand, it still uses two gcc extensions: long long bitfields and
> typeof.
>
> I'll see what kind of code we get with the macro.

At least one thing to look out for is the poor LLVM people who are
trying to make the kernel compile with that compiler.. We shouldn't
make it arbitrarily harder for them, so *some* level of portability is
a good idea.

Then there is icc, but I don't know how relevant that would ever be.
At least LLVM has the potential to be widely available.

Of course, they may both already support even the odd gcc builtins -
we already use a lot of the more straightforward ones...

Linus