Re: [ 024/173] drm/i915: add Ivy Bridge GT2 Server entries

From: Ben Hutchings
Date: Sat Dec 29 2012 - 18:39:10 EST

On Sat, 2012-12-29 at 00:21 -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > This adds PCI ID for IVB GT2 server variant which we were missing.
>
> As discussed at [1], this triggers a small regression with Debian
> wheezy userspace (X freezing instead of erroring out). libdrm hasn't
> been updated in wheezy since then, and I wouldn't be surprised if
> other distros were affected, too. Has there been a kernel patch since
> then to avoid that?
>
> Though I wouldn't mind seeing this applied anyway, FWIW, as long as
> the announcement mentions the userspace bugfix needed.
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.bugs.general/978320/focus=74843

Sorry, forgot we'd discussed this before. Thinking over this again, I'm
not convinced that X freezing at startup is a significant regression
from X failing to start. Either way, it's unusable unless you
explicitly configure it to use vesa.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.