Re: [GIT PULL] x86/uapi for 3.8

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Dec 15 2012 - 18:47:56 EST

On 12/15/2012 01:37 PM, Dave Jones wrote:
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:58:00AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It might also be that it causes some massive corruption at boot time,
> but it then requires that that particular memory is actually used. So
> maybe it's not so much about the memory map except indirectly.

I wonder if this might explain the XFS corruption I've been seeing
the last couple days. Won't be able to get at the affected laptop
until Monday to find out..

It seems somewhat unlikely, but not implausible, since the trampoline page table is only in use for very brief moments and usually not very often at all, but if it is just completely screwed and we do fandango on memory... yes we could have problems.

-hpa