Re: [Intel-gfx] drm_kms_helper problems

From: Bruno PrÃmont
Date: Tue Oct 23 2012 - 02:36:15 EST

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 17:54:26 Mark Hounschell wrote:
> Another interesting thing. I changed the boot file to only
> "video=HDMI-A-1:e" and the monitor on the DVI port complains about the
> resolution being to high. I then put the hdmi cable onto my dvi/hdmi
> adapter and plug it into the DVI port and wala, a 1920 x 1080 desktop. So I
> reboot with it in that configuration and again comes up good connected to
> the DVI connector.

So at least the EDID firmware now gets recognized and considered :)

> # xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
> VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 708mm x 398mm
> 1920x1080 60.0*+ 50.0 25.0 30.0 30.0 24.0
> 1680x1050 59.9
> 1680x945 60.0
> 1400x1050 59.9
> 1600x900 60.0
> 1280x1024 75.0 60.0
> 1440x900 59.9
> 1280x960 60.0
> 1366x768 60.0
> 1360x768 60.0
> 1280x800 74.9 59.9
> 1152x864 75.0
> 1280x768 74.9 60.0
> 1280x720 50.0 60.0
> 1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
> 1024x576 60.0
> 800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
> 720x576 50.0
> 848x480 60.0
> 720x480 59.9
> 640x480 72.8 75.0 60.0 59.9 59.9
> 720x400 70.1
> DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> I'm still getting the same messages spewed into the kernel log file. So
> this looks to me like the kernel is confused. Again, I ask, why do I have 3
> HDMIs and 3 DPs but just one VGA.

Maybe Daniel or Chris can comment on that high quantity of DP/HDMI
connectors seen by driver. Those are probably also the cause of the
persistent EDID complaints in kernel log.

You could maybe try to disable those outputs in xorg.conf in order to not
get your log filled with bad EDID complaints for "unused" connectors.
But as specifying the EDID as firmware it's just a work-around to the
issue.

Bruno