Re: Controlling devices and device namespaces

From: Serge Hallyn
Date: Sun Sep 16 2012 - 09:32:21 EST

On 09/16/2012 07:17 AM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

One piece of the puzzle is that we should be able to allow unprivileged
device node creation and access for any device on any filesystem
for which it unprivileged access is safe.

Which devices are "safe" is policy for all interesting and useful cases,
as are file permissions, security tags, chroot considerations and the
like.

It's a complete non starter.

Come to think of it mknod is completely unnecessary.

Without mknod. Without being able to mount filesystems containing
device nodes.

Hm? That sounds like it will really upset init/udev/upgrades in the container.

Are you saying all filesystems containing device nodes will need to be mounted in advance by the process setting up the container?

> The mount namespace is sufficient to prevent all of the
cases that the device control group prevents (open and mknod on device
nodes).

So I honestly think the device control group is superflous, and it is
probably wise to deprecate it and move to a model where it does not
exist.

Eric

That's what I said a few emails ago :) The device cgroup was meant as a short-term workaround for lack of user (and device) namespaces.