Re: Implement devicetree support for AB8500 Btemp

From: Rajanikanth HV
Date: Fri Sep 14 2012 - 05:35:32 EST

On Friday 14 September 2012 01:39 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 14 September 2012, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
>> Power supply subsystem's supplied_to describes not just how driver
>> should notify other devices, supplied_to is more generic stuff, in terms
>> that it describes power supply hierarchy. It's like a directed graph,
>> e.g.:
>>
>> <AC power> supplied_to <main battery> and <backup battery>
>> <USB power> supplied_to <main battery> and <backup battery>
>> <main battery> supplied_to <system>
>> <backup battery> supplied_to <system>
>> <cmos battery> supplied_to <southbridge pci device>
>> <mice battery> supplied_to <mice wireless hid>
>>
>> How things interact in linux are just implementations details.
>> So, device tree is surely a perfect place to describe these things.
>>
>> Although, in current bindings I see this:
>>
>> + ab8500-fg {
>> + /* Other enery management module */
>> + supplied_to = "ab8500_chargalg", "ab8500_usb";
>> + num_supplicants = <2>;
>> + };
>>
>> Instead of addressing supplicants by name, it's better to address
>> via phandles. And, of course, num_supplicants is not needed, it can
>> be derived.
>
> Right. that's what I thought. The other comment I made initially is
> that it would be more in the spirit of the existing bindings to have
> the supply property in the opposite directory, if we need it, like
> (picking up your above example):
>

> / {
> /* power supply property in the root node is used by default */
> power-supply = <&main-battery>, <&backup-battery>;
>
> ac-power: power@... {
> };
>
> usb-power: power@... {
> };
>
> main-battery: battery@... {
> power-supply = <&ac-power>, <&usb-power};
> ;

> };
>
> It's the same information and absolutely equivalent as far as I can tell,
> but it feel more logical in the way we tend to describe things.
>
> Arnd

phandle'd supplied-to will looks like:

usb: ab8500-usb {

};

battery : ab8500-bat-type {
battery-name = "unknown|NiMH|LION|LIPO|LiFe|NiCd|LiMn";
thermistor_on_batctrl = <1>;
};

chargalg: ab8500-chargalg {
compatible = "stericsson,ab8500-chargalg";
interface-name = "ab8500_chargalg";
battery-info = <&ab8500-bat-type>
supplied-to = <&ab8500_fg>;
};

fuelguage: ab8500-fg {
compatible = "stericsson,ab8500-fg";
interface-name = "ab8500_fg";
battery-info = <&ab8500-bat-type>
supplied-to = <&ab8500_chargalg &ab8500_usb>;
};
btemp: ab8500-btemp {
compatible = "stericsson,ab8500-fg";
interface-name = "ab8500_btemp";
battery-info = <&ab8500-bat-type>
supplied-to = <&ab8500_chargalg &ab8500_fg>;
};

charger: ab8500-charger {
compatible = "stericsson,ab8500-charger";
interface-name = "ab8500_charger";
battery-info = <&ab8500-bat-type>
supplied-to = <&ab8500_chargalg &ab8500_fg &ab8500_btemp>;
};