Re: [patch 0/9] extended fdinfo via procfs series, v7

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Thu Aug 23 2012 - 08:23:53 EST

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 02:43:23PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> here is updated version of the fdinfo via procfs series,
> the changes from previous one are the following
>
> - fhandle is carried inside inotify mark but this feature
> is CONFIG dependent to not bloat the kernel for users
> who don't need it

As Al points out, this doesn't help much: if this feature is something a
distro will want to provide, then in practice all their users are
eventually going to end up with it turned on.

Could you quantify the cost somehow?

I wonder if you could get away with something less than MAX_HANDLE_SIZE?
128 bytes is the maximum allowable by NFSv4. In practice I don't think
any of our filesystems need more than 40 or so right now.

--b.