RE: [RFC/PATCH] zcache/ramster rewrite and promotion

From: Dan Magenheimer
Date: Mon Aug 06 2012 - 10:07:48 EST

> From: Pekka Enberg [mailto:penberg@xxxxxxxxxx]
> Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] zcache/ramster rewrite and promotion
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Dan Magenheimer
> <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ramster does the same thing but manages it peer-to-peer across
> > multiple systems using kernel sockets. One could argue that
> > the dependency on sockets makes it more of a driver than "mm"
> > but ramster is "memory management" too, just a bit more exotic.
>
> How do you configure it?

Hi Pekka --

It looks like the build/configuration how-to at
https://oss.oracle.com/projects/tmem/dist/files/RAMster/HOWTO-v5-120214
is out-of-date and I need to fix some things in it. I'll post
a link to it after I update it.

> Can we move parts of the network protocol under
> net/ramster or something?

Ramster is built on top of kernel sockets. Both that networking
part and the configuration part of the ramster code are heavily
leveraged from ocfs2 and I suspect there is a lot of similarity
to gfs code as well. In the code for both of those filesystems
I think the network and configuration code lives in the same
directory with the file system, so that was the model I was following.

I'm OK with placing it wherever kernel developers want to put
it, as long as the reason is not NIMBY-ness. [1] My preference
is to keep all the parts together, at least for the review phase,
but if there is a consensus that it belongs someplace else,
I will be happy to move it.

Dan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY