Re: Huge performance degradation for UDP between 2.4.17 and 2.6

From: LEROY christophe
Date: Sun Aug 05 2012 - 04:16:16 EST

Le 02/08/2012 16:13, Eric Dumazet a Ãcrit :
On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 14:27 +0200, leroy christophe wrote:
Hi

I'm having a big issue with UDP. Using a powerpc board (MPC860).

With our board running kernel 2.4.17, I'm able to send 160000 voice
packets (UDP, 96 bytes per packet) in 11 seconds.
With the same board running either Kernel 2.6.35.14 or Kernel 3.4.7, I
need 55 seconds to send the same amount of packets.

Is there anything to tune in order to get same output rate as with
Kernel 2.4 ?
kernel size is probably too big for your old / slow cpu.

Maybe you added too many features on your 3.4.7 kernel. (netfilter ?
SLUB debugging ...)

Its hard to say, 2.4.17 had less features and was faster.

Thanks for your answer.
Yes I have netfilter as I need it. However, I tried without it and still need about 37 seconds to send the 160000 packets I was sending in 11 seconds with 2.4.17

I don't think there is any problem with size of the kernel. I still have plenty of memory available.

All debugging is turned off, and I'm not using SLUB but SLOB.
I have 32Mbytes of RAM. Would SLUB be more performant than SLOB ?

Christophe