Re: [QUESTION ON BUG] the rcu stall issue could not be reproduced

From: Michael Wang
Date: Fri Jul 20 2012 - 04:53:41 EST

On 07/20/2012 04:36 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 04:24:25PM +0800, Michael Wang wrote:
>> On 07/20/2012 02:41 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
>>> My bug was fixed in March. There was an email thread about it when
>>> the merge window opened but I can't find it...
>> Hi, Dan
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Currently this issue won't appear because the
>> CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_TIMEOUT=60, which is big enough to avoid the
>> warning info.
>>
>> So is this the fix you mentioned? or someone has find out the true
>> reason and fixed it?
>
> I don't think there was an email thread on the RCU stall issue after
> all. I'm not sure what how it was fixed.
>
> The 60 second time out would have still triggered with my bug. It
> was a complete system hang, the RCU stall message was just a
> debugging hint. I was hitting the bug every couple days reliably on
> all my systems.

I see, looks like the stall info in your case is caused by a different
reason which should already be handled.

I do think that this warning won't appear with a normal machine working
normally without any buggie driver or wrong deployment...

Let's see what I can get from other reporters ;-)

Regards,
Michael Wang