Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration fordistro issues

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu Jul 19 2012 - 14:09:22 EST

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 01:57:26PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> Yes, I know you know this already, as we discussed it in a pub over a
> beer (choir practice). But this is a public forum on LKML (the church),
> where I now have an audience of heathens. Convert! Convert! You are all
> sinners!

Ah, gotcha.

[ â ]

> But this still doesn't solve Linus's initial request. That would be a
> single option that makes your distro boot, and work well. Again, that
> option wont have the drivers needed, but it will enable all the core
> infrastructure that you need.

Oh I'm being additive here. You'll have feature profiles for the stuff
we talk above and distro profiles which solve Linus' issue. Basically
one coarse-grained config option will either select a feature which has
a lot of small subfeatures of which some are sane and want to be enabled
by default when selecting the topfeature.

Or a distro-specific feature which could itself select other
topfeatures.

I haven't tried this in reality to actually be able to say that a
tree-like configure approach would actually make sense and work. It
sounds like a nice idea though, especially having the hierarchical
structure. :)

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24, 85609 Dornach
GM: Alberto Bozzo
Reg: Dornach, Landkreis Muenchen
HRB Nr. 43632 WEEE Registernr: 129 19551