Re: Linux 3.5-rc7

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 12:28:37 EST

Am Sonntag, 15. Juli 2012 schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> Hey guys,

Hi Linus,

> remember how things have been stabilizing and slowing down,
> and all the kernel developers were off on summer vacation?
>
> Yeah, we need to talk about that. Because I last week I thought that
> making an -rc7 was not necessarily realy required, except perhaps
> mainly to check the late printk changes. But then today and yesterday,
> I got a ton of small pull requests, and now I find myself releasing an
> -rc7 that is actually bigger than rc6 was.
>
> Not cool, guys. Not cool.
>
> Now, admittedly, most of this is pretty small. The loadavg calculation
> fix patch is pretty big, but quite a lot of that is added comments
> (*big* added comments). . But there's Andrew's patch-bomb, there's
> media fixes, there's random SOC fixes, powerpc fixes, USB, sound, you
> name it.
>
> Ok, so it's still not *huge*, but it's bigger than -rc6 was. I had
> hoped for less.

Regresses badly on resume from in-kernel hibernation. I.e. hangs with some
red graphics artifacts on the tty. The same artifacts appear for a short
time with rc6 + some commits as well, but there then X.org is available
again.

2437fccfbfc83bcb868ccc7fdfe2b5310bf07835 â thats rc6 + some commits â
works, while exactly rc7 does not.

No bisection tried so far. Maybe tomorrow. It shouldnÂt be that many
attempts and kernel compiles are fast on the ThinkPad T520 with Intel i5
Sandybridge + integrated graphics â no NVidia â + Intel SSD 320 where this
happens. No other machines tested so far.

Kernel configuration available if desired.

Thanks,