Re: Huge memory takes too long time to initialize on 4TB ?

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed May 23 2012 - 20:32:40 EST

On Thu, 24 May 2012, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > This has nothing to do with mm/huge_memory.c, which is transparent
> > hugepages code, it's the lengthy iteration done for a very large
> > ZONE_NORMAL in setup_zone_migrate_reserve().
> >
> > This should be fixed by 938929f14cb5 ("mm: reduce the amount of work done
> > when updating min_free_kbytes") and was merged in 3.3. Let us know if
> > there's still a problem after upgrading to either that or 3.4
>
> I thought that was only a performance optimization, so if the oops is
> generated by a timeout it can fix it, so good idea to try it. But a
> timeout watchdog triggering exactly in spin_unlock sounds a bit
> unlikely occurence, so I assumed too long time here meant "wait forever
> because it crashed".

The bug report is ambiguous because it doesn't include the full set of
messages, so I was assuming it was timing out because irqs were disabled
for too long while iterating over a large ZONE_NORMAL based on Ethan's
description of what he was seeing. Ethan, if the problem persists with a
3.3 or later kernel please follow-up with the full dmesg, thanks.