Re: [GIT PULL] perf fix

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed May 23 2012 - 16:20:16 EST

* Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This pull request you replied to is the v3.4 era fixes tree,
> > with one remaining fix in it.
>
> I see. The forest of tip trees apparently confuses me still.
> I'll figure it out eventually.

The topic tree layout for single-topic trees is pretty simple
and straightforward - but the situation you met here was
arguably a weird corner case:

X/urgent are the fixes that go to Linus
X/core are the development patches for the next merge window

Where 'X' can be one of: perf, sched, timer, irq - the main
subsystem trees we maintain. (x86 is a multi-topic tree, with
intuitively named topic trees, such as x86/reboot, x86/asm or
x86/mm.)

All of them are test-merged into tip:master - this is the one
that you will typically use, the topic layout is for maintainers
and for power-contributors/submaintaners who are sending Git
pull requests to us.

at the beginning of a merge window (i.e. right now) there might
be fixes pending in perf/urgent that did not make it to v3.4.
Instead of merging them into perf/core I tend to send them to
Linus as a standalone tree.

The rest of perf/core, once the initial one or two sets of
commits get pulled by Linus, morphs into perf/urgent, fairly
early in the merge window.

Thus there's a new perf/urgent and an empty perf/core, and the
cycle starts again.

You met this cycle switch period to the day (the chance is only
1:90 for that, consider yourself lucky ;-), which created the
impression of a confusing fixes workflow.

Thanks,

Ingo