Re: v3.4-rc2 out-of-memory problems (was Re: 3.4-rc1 sticks-and-crashs)

From: john stultz
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 18:44:27 EST

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 03:13:00PM -0700, Colin Cross wrote:
>> sched: Add a generic notifier when a task struct is about to be freed
>> https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=kernel/common.git;a=commitdiff;h=667dffa787a87ef4ea43cc65957ce96077fdcd0a
>
> Yes, I can't add a patch like that for this driver, that is why I
> thought everyone was getting together to "properly" determine how to
> solve this oom notifier problem.  Has that work stalled somwhere?

Anton Vorontsov has been working on this (and just sent out some
related vmevent patches today). His hope is to use the vmevent or mem
cgroup interface to notify a userland killer to get the same or
improved behavior as the in-kernel lowmemory killer.

thanks
-john