Re: v3.4-rc2 out-of-memory problems (was Re: 3.4-rc1 sticks-and-crashs)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 18:30:35 EST

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Colin Cross <ccross@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sched: Add a generic notifier when a task struct is about to be freed
> https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=kernel/common.git;a=commitdiff;h=667dffa787a87ef4ea43cc65957ce96077fdcd0a

Oh, *HELL*NO*!

It's a fucking disaster in "Oh, one notifier was broken, SO LET'S ADD
ANOTHER RANDOM ONE TO FIX THAT".

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
thinking you get a different result. Let's not do that kind of idiotic
thing.

Notifiers are evil crap. Let's make *fewer* of them, not add
yet-another-random-notifier-for-some-random-reason.

F*ck me, but how I hate those random notifiers. And I hate people who
add them willy nilly.

Linus