Re: [RFC] perf report: Implement symbol filtering on TUI

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Thu Mar 08 2012 - 20:53:51 EST

Hi,

* Namhyung Kim <namhyung.kim@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, Ingo

* Namhyung Kim <namhyung.kim@xxxxxxx> wrote:

As Ingo requested, symbol filtering feature was missing on TUI.
Add 's' key to get input from user, and do simple filtering by
strstr(). To turn filtering off, just enter no name by pressing
's' followed by ENTER.

There should be many issues, but I just want to release this
to get some feedbacks.

I'd love it if in addition to the hotkey, if I typed the obvious
sequence:

$ perf report sched

... then it would turn into such a filter automagically.

Oh, I implemented that already. Please test it! :)

Cool - I tried it out and it works just as it should!

I noticed two details:

- "perf report sched | less" does not work as expected - such
kinds of features should be GUI-frontend agnostic.

Will fix.

- unknown symbols are not matched, and thus they will show up
indiscrimnately even though I only want to see them if the
filter is something like '0x' or 'unknown'.

Since they have no symbol. :) In the current implementation, it will
actually show you such symbols if you enter '0x' or 'unknown' as a filter unless there're symbols that have those letters in its name.

I can think of 3 solutions for this now:

1. Adding a special filter keyword (like 'unknown'). But there's probably some symbols which have those letters.

2. If filter string consists of (hex-) digits only, it will only show hist entries doesn't have symbols, or tries to match based on its ip.

3. Implement zooming-in to "unknown" dso. Maybe it's a different issue, but I think it's good to have and it'll helps this too.

What do you guys think?

Anyway, apart from these two details:

Tested-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>

Thanks for testing and suggestions.