Re: [RFC] perf report: Implement symbol filtering on TUI

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 08 2012 - 05:45:24 EST

* Namhyung Kim <namhyung.kim@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Ingo

> >* Namhyung Kim <namhyung.kim@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>As Ingo requested, symbol filtering feature was missing on TUI.
> >>Add 's' key to get input from user, and do simple filtering by
> >>strstr(). To turn filtering off, just enter no name by pressing
> >>'s' followed by ENTER.
> >>
> >>There should be many issues, but I just want to release this
> >>to get some feedbacks.
> >
> >I'd love it if in addition to the hotkey, if I typed the obvious
> >sequence:
> >
> > $ perf report sched
> >
> >... then it would turn into such a filter automagically.
> >

> Oh, I implemented that already. Please test it! :)

Cool - I tried it out and it works just as it should!

I noticed two details:

- "perf report sched | less" does not work as expected - such
kinds of features should be GUI-frontend agnostic.

- unknown symbols are not matched, and thus they will show up
indiscrimnately even though I only want to see them if the
filter is something like '0x' or 'unknown'.

Anyway, apart from these two details:

Tested-by: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>

Thanks,

Ingo