Re: An extremely simplified pinctrl bindings proposal

From: Tony Lindgren
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 18:57:44 EST

* Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> [120206 14:44]:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> I actually had something like unnamed pins in the early patches
> >> to register a bunch of anonymous pins ranges, so why not bring
> >> it back in.
> >
> > Yeah it seems that the mux registers should be listed, it might
> > require a little bit of thinking for cases where one register
> > controls multiple pins. So maybe we need just a new entry for
> > mux registers?
>
> I'm not sure if I'm following completely, if this is inside the devicetree-based
> driver file, would it work to just add a struct dentry * to the
> pinctrl_desc where you put a per-driver file?

I was thinking generic debufs entries for all drivers.

> Or maybe add extern void pinctrl_add_debugfs(struct dentry *) that adds
> a new file to the existing per-driver directory through the core and then
> have this add that file?

Sounds like you've thought it further than me already :)

Maybe that's the way to go to solve the one register for
multiple pins issue.

> Or did you mean that the core.c should be register-aware?

I was just thinking string name ignoring core.c, so that would
be the pinctrl_add_debugfs() option then. Do you see problems
with this approach?

Regards,

Tony