Re: [patch]block: fix ioc locking warning

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 11:59:09 EST

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, this seems better to me.  Jens, if you're gonna amend the
> commit, please consider collapsing the following patch into the
> original patch too.  Thanks.

Guys, is it *really* worth it to do all these crazy games?

How bad is it to just always use the async freeing, instead of this
clearly very fragile crazy direct-freeing-with-serious-locking-issues
thing?

Sure, even ioc_release_fn() isn't trivial wrt lock handling, but at
least it doesn't have to play these *insane* games with recursive
locking.

And if workqueues are too expensive, what saner alternatives might
there be? This code really is insane.

Linus