Re: [RFC] killing boilerplate checks in ->link/->mkdir/->rename

From: Artem Bityutskiy
Date: Fri Feb 03 2012 - 14:35:09 EST

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 17:08 +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 01:16:12AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
>
> > * ubifs, hfsplus, jffs2 - definitely broken if you create enough
> > links. i_nlink wraparound to zero, confused inode eviction logics.
>
> BTW, ubifs plays funny games with i_nlink - decrements it early in
> unlink/rmdir/rename and then increments it back on failure. *If*
> we really want it that way, we need to use set_nlink() there. Frankly,
> I'd rather deal with drop_nlink() after the last possible failure
> exit... Unless there are serious reasons why that wouldn't work, that is.

There was a good reason for those games. I cannot provide a good
explanation right now because I need to refresh my memory (but I am sure
there must be a big comment in the code about this) and my daughter is
getting upset already because I am typing something instead of playing
with her. Will try to answer on Monday. Have a nice weekend!

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy