Re: [RFC] killing boilerplate checks in ->link/->mkdir/->rename

From: Al Viro
Date: Fri Feb 03 2012 - 12:08:27 EST

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 01:16:12AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:

> * ubifs, hfsplus, jffs2 - definitely broken if you create enough
> links. i_nlink wraparound to zero, confused inode eviction logics.

BTW, ubifs plays funny games with i_nlink - decrements it early in
unlink/rmdir/rename and then increments it back on failure. *If*
we really want it that way, we need to use set_nlink() there. Frankly,
I'd rather deal with drop_nlink() after the last possible failure
exit... Unless there are serious reasons why that wouldn't work, that is.
Artem?