Re: mvsas with 3.1

From: Thomas Fjellstrom
Date: Wed Feb 01 2012 - 09:03:25 EST

On Wed Feb 1, 2012, Simon McNair wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> I've been trying to get an answer to this same question (I have a
> supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 too). See my post at
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/30/107 .
>
> My only suggestion is to get a kernel that's pre 2.6.30 (my Thecus
> 5200 marvell based unit is on 2.6.13 and it seems okay). If the data
> is mission critical I certainly wouldn't be using the latest kernels
> in production until it had 6+months in a stress test environment (of
> course I'm an obsessive apt-get upgrade which makes me a hypocrite
>
> :-P).
>
> I can see from searching lkml.org for mvsas that there is a lot of
> code going in to this driver and unless your're a linux guru and can
> fix these problems I can only suggest you keep anything important on a
> =< 2.6.13 kernel and monitor the situation.
>
> Oh, and keep back ups ;-) (again here's me being the hypocrite).
>
> That's my plan :-(

The older drivers were even worse, they'd have these really nasty pauses, or
just outright OOPS the entire machine.

That said, I've finally had it with the lack of support. It's been over two
years since I got the card, and enough is enough. I picked up a refurb IBM
ServeRaid M1015 (aka: LSI 9220-8i) card. It arrived yesterday. Just have to
wait and see why grub doesn't like it.

> Simon
>
> On 13 January 2012 18:44, Thomas Fjellstrom <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is there chance this driver will ever be stable? After more than two
> > years I'm starting to get extremely frustrated. I don't really have the
> > option at the moment to get a new card, otherwise I would, likely a non
> > marvell based device.
> >
> > It actually managed to last 10 days this time though. Which is a record.
> > The interesting thing is there are no warnings or errors in dmesg coming
> > from the mvsas driver or scsi code. All that's happened is processes
> > lock up when trying to write. Reading seems to be fine.
> >
> > Just to refresh everyone's memory, it's a AOC-SASLP-MV8 card, has a
> > MV64460/64461/64462 chipset. And I have 7 (seagate 7200.12 SATA drives
> > hooked up).
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Fjellstrom
> > thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx