Re: IP over 802.2 with LLC/SNAP

From: Alan Ott
Date: Fri Jul 29 2011 - 14:42:53 EST

On 07/27/2011 08:32 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
>> So the question is, does Linux support IP over 802.2 with LLC/SNAP?
>
> It should be a 'simple matter of hacking' and there are example devices
> that fiddle with packets and add headers etc you can nick a lot of code
> from.

That sounds like it could be a fun project actually. It looks like I can
use what net/ipx does as a pattern, at least to get the receive going.
The send sounds a bit trickier but doable. I'll take a look when I get
some time (but it'll be a couple weeks at least).

> I figure if you can write an IP stack for an ancient Gould system
> you can probably do that.

I haven't written a fully-featured IP stack on the Gould, but it does
handle sending/receiving of UDP, which is what I need for my purposes.

> The other way is to use the Linux raw packet interfaces, open a raw
> socket, push a BPF filter onto it to just get the frames for IP/SNAP and
> ARP/SNAP then modify them and feed them to the kernel tun/tap interface.

Since I just needed to read the one packet on the Linux side, I ended up
just using libpcap to grab the raw packets and parse out the header for
now to get it working.

Thanks for the response and information,

Alan.