Re: IP over 802.2 with LLC/SNAP

From: Rick Jones
Date: Wed Jul 27 2011 - 12:26:46 EST

On 07/27/2011 05:32 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
So the question is, does Linux support IP over 802.2 with LLC/SNAP? Is
there a sysfs/proc entry that I have to turn on to make this work (I
didn't find one)? I have the LLC2 module loaded, and I believe my packet
to be correct, since Windows recognizes it and since Wireshark doesn't
give any red flags on it. I've been unable to find anything about this
kind of thing in my searching.

Linux supports LLC/SNAP and various things over it (IPX/Appletalk DDP
etc) but not IP over it, as it's one of those standards bodies driven
bogosities which nobody ever actually deployed.

Well... Hewlett-Packard deployed it in the 80's and 90's in MPE and HP-UX, HP-UX because until the mid-ish 1990's MPE only spoke 802.2 not "Ethernet." By the late 1990's I think it was gone from HP-UX.

rick jones